New Federal Requirement: Starting January 1, 2024, most business entities in the US will need to report Beneficial Ownership Information.


US Corporation for Canadians

Asked by: Elena Borodina  — 28 May, 2012

Dear sirs,

We are a Canadian corporation exporting products from USA and other countries to international markets. For the US export regulation it would be beneficial for us to have a USA address and Tax ID. Do we need to register a branch in USA or simply apply for Tax ID?

Most of our business is done outside Canada – purchasing from USA and other countries and selling to export markets.

All transactions are in USD, so it might actually be good to have a US Bank account too for faster processing and lower bank fees.

Our physical presence is Canada. I have to travel to USA and other countries to inspect the product or meet the suppliers.

Our accounting and tax reporting costs are already significant in Canada, and I would like to avoid doubling that expense by having 2 financial reports and 2 tax reports separate for USA and for Canada.

What would you recommend in our situation?

best regards,

Elena Borodina


Answered by: admin  — 28 May, 2012

Dear Elena,

You could obtain an EIN for your Canadian company, and use it to open a bank account in the US. However, you would need to present the bank with your company formation documents, certified in US embassy in Canada, as well as a letter from company CPA or attorney stating that the company does not do business in the state where you plan to open the bank account (as well as a few other documents such as photo ID and proof of address).

Alternatively you could form a US entity and use it as a proxy of your Canadian company for US business.

Either way you would be required to file a tax return with the IRS on your US income (even if its zero).

Ask Incorporation Question
Please enter your full name
Please enter your email address
Please select your phone number
Please select
Please enter text message
Begin Web-Stat code v 6.0