Call Us Now: +1 (877) 330-2677 Live Chat: ONLINE NOW   

US citizen with no home state registering an online shop in the US

Asked by: Joel Foster - 15 August, 2011 I am an American citizen living abroad, and plan on starting an online shop selling and delivering physical goods to customers in the US. I have prepared my business plan, but am unsure of how exactly I should register my business. For ease of registration, would you suggest I start as a sole proprietorship in the beginning, then convert to an LLC at the year's end, or start the business as an LLC? And how should I go about obtaining a DBA?

I plan on outsourcing everything I cannot do by myself, therefore having no one working for the company except me, the owner. Therefore, I will have absolutely no physical assets in the US. Where then do I register my online business as being based from?

I understand that my residing outside of the United States, though being an American citizen, complicates the formation and registration procedures for this business. I want to play everything by the book and build this business sky-high, and this means doing things the right way from the ground up. Thank you for your advice!
Answered by: Robert Kowalski - 19 August, 2011 Dear Joel,

A question similar to that was asked before, so please let me refer you to the answer since I have very little to add to that answer: DBA for US sole proprietor living abroad.


We Want To Connect With You!

Social Media is increasingly the preferred method for businesses to connect with their clients, peers and customers. We are dedicated to share information and useful tools to help you grow your business.

Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and let's begin the exchange to Help Grow America One Business at a Time - starting with yours!