New Federal Requirement: Starting January 1, 2024, most business entities in the US will need to report Beneficial Ownership Information.


U.S. citizen operating a foreign corp abroad - how to set up in US?

Asked by: Ryan  — 13 December, 2012

U.S citizen residing in Costa Rica with internet business set up as an S.A. (foreign version of an LLC). Business is directed toward U.S citizens to come to this country. Need to receive payments in U.S. and CR. What is best way to set up in U.S. -LLC or LLC/ Scorp? and does choice of state matter since I’m not operating in a given state?

Answered by: admin  — 13 December, 2012


Only U.S. citizens or permanent residents may register an S-Corp, so really an LLC would be the best option as opposed to your other option of registering a C-Corp (although C-Corp can be useful in minimizing your overall tax exposure, see that answer from our tax expert).

You may list your company in Costa Rica as the owner of your U.S. business, and you do not need to have a U.S. address for the business. If your company is conducting it’s business solely online, you have choice to register in any state. Typically, Wyoming or Delaware are the top preferred states due to their business-friendly atmospheres. You can click here to see a side-by-side comparison of Wyoming and Delaware.

Ask Incorporation Question
Please enter your full name
Please enter your email address
Please select your phone number
Please select
Please enter text message
Begin Web-Stat code v 6.0