Call Us Now: +1 (877) 330-2677 Live Chat: ONLINE NOW   

Taxation for LLC (1 Canadian, 1 American)

Asked by: Paul - 8 April, 2013 I am starting an LLC with a partner. I am a Canadian citizen and he is an American living in Illinois. Our business is an exam preparation company, with most business being done online. I will be doing all of the work in Canada, while he will do his work in the US.

We plan on hiring 1-2 employees to work in Illinois. I understand that the company will pay all required taxes in the US for our employees and my partner, but my confusion comes in for my own earnings. Will I have to pay taxes based on US tax laws even though I will not be working in the US? As I seem to understand now, I do not, but I haven't found a straight answer yet.

Thank you in advance.
Answered by: Wray Rives - 8 April, 2013 Paul,

Generally ownership in a US partnership requires a non-resident owner to file a US non-resident tax return, because any profits from a US partnership are considered income effectively connected to a US business. That would mean a Canadian partner would need to file a form 104NR to report his share of profits from the partnership.


We Want To Connect With You!

Social Media is increasingly the preferred method for businesses to connect with their clients, peers and customers. We are dedicated to share information and useful tools to help you grow your business.

Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and let's begin the exchange to Help Grow America One Business at a Time - starting with yours!