Call Us Now: +1 (877) 330-2677 Live Chat: ONLINE NOW   

Tax ID for stained glass products hobby

Asked by: valerie - 18 February, 2013 Hello, if I make stained glass products as a hobby will I still need a tax id number? Is there a specific amount of that has to be made before it is no longer classed as a hobby?
Answered by: Ray Albert - 21 February, 2013 Valerie,

If you are selling your glass products then you are conducting a business. Every business (with a few exceptions, such as single member LLC with no employees) is required to obtain a federal tax id (also called Employer Identification Number).

If you would be selling any of the stained glass products to buyers in your state, you would indeed require a state sales/use tax id to collect sales tax from those buyers, unless your state and local jurisdiction do not have sales tax.

There really is no specific amount of sales required or allowed before you would require this permit, although some jurisdictions do allow small amounts of sales being done with no need to report.


We Want To Connect With You!

Social Media is increasingly the preferred method for businesses to connect with their clients, peers and customers. We are dedicated to share information and useful tools to help you grow your business.

Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and let's begin the exchange to Help Grow America One Business at a Time - starting with yours! Official PayPal Seal SecurityMetrics for PCI Compliance, QSA, IDS, Penetration Testing, Forensics, and Vulnerability Assessment