New Federal Requirement: Starting January 1, 2024, most business entities in the US will need to report Beneficial Ownership Information.


Starting a LLC on a J2 visa?

Asked by: Dilag  — 13 January, 2013

I am currently in the States on a J2 visa and would like to start a import/export business. My questions are the following:
1. Can I start an LLC an run the business on a J2 visa?
2. What is the best place to get more information (taxes, duties, laws) on importing stuff from Africa?

Thanks! Dilag

Answered by: admin  — 13 January, 2013


Any person can own a US company, however to do work for the company while in the US you need to have appropriate work authorization.

From wikipedia this is what I see:

J-2 visitors may request work authorization from United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) by submitting form I-765. Adjudication typically takes between 3 and 5 months. If approved, an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) will be issued, authorizing the J-2 visitor for employment for a period of up to one year. Applications for additional employment authorization may be submitted annually until the end of the J-2’s status.

I am not entirely sure where to get additiotnal information on the specific topic of import and export from Africa, so the best I can suggest is trying to google it.

Ask Incorporation Question
Please enter your full name
Please enter your email address
Please select your phone number
Please select
Please enter text message
Begin Web-Stat code v 6.0