Call Us Now: +1 (877) 330-2677 Live Chat: ONLINE NOW   

Sales Permit and EIN

Asked by: hussain - 2 March, 2012 1- I am located in Houston, TX, Harris county. I want to start retail business as a sole owner. Should I get EIN number or I can use my SSN as my tax number?
2 - In my retail store I wish to sell cellphones, gift items, stationary and cartridge ink refilling. While applying sales permit for the store will I need to declare NAICS for each item which I wish to sell?
3. I am also looking to sell E-cigarettes wholesale with a different DBA for use at the same physical address, will I need to apply for separate sales tax permits?
Answered by: Mary Dubitsky - 7 March, 2012 Hussain,

1) If the business entity is a sole proprietorship, you may not need an EIN. You will be able to use your SSN as the tax ID for the business. If you choose to incorporate or form an LLC, you may need to obtain an EIN.

2) Your business can use one of the broader NAICS codes to encompass all of the goods sold at retail. For example, code 452990, All Other General Merchandise Stores. This should be sufficient for the purposes of applying for a sales tax permit.

3) Some states will allow a business to add an additional DBA to an existing E-Cigarette wholesale license. Other states require a new license in the name of the additional DBA. More research is required on this question and we would be happy to help!


We Want To Connect With You!

Social Media is increasingly the preferred method for businesses to connect with their clients, peers and customers. We are dedicated to share information and useful tools to help you grow your business.

Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and let's begin the exchange to Help Grow America One Business at a Time - starting with yours! Official PayPal Seal SecurityMetrics for PCI Compliance, QSA, IDS, Penetration Testing, Forensics, and Vulnerability Assessment