Call Us Now: +1 (877) 330-2677 Live Chat: ONLINE NOW   

S-corp in IN but doing business in IL

Asked by: Kim - 13 March, 2014 My s-corp originated in Indiana, but I live in Illinois and that is where I will do my business. What has to be filed in IL to operate my service based business? Thank you
Answered by: Ray Albert - 13 March, 2014 Dear Kim,

In your case, you have two primary options to consider:

The first option, you could dissolve the S-Corporation in Indiana and open a new entity in Illinois. This would have the company registered in only one state, however, this would create a new date of formation for the business, as well as require a new federal tax id (EIN), S-Corp election, etc.

The second option, you can file your Indiana S-Corporation as a foreign entity in Illinois, which would have the business actively registered in both states, retaining the original date of formation and federal tax id.


We Want To Connect With You!

Social Media is increasingly the preferred method for businesses to connect with their clients, peers and customers. We are dedicated to share information and useful tools to help you grow your business.

Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and let's begin the exchange to Help Grow America One Business at a Time - starting with yours!