New Federal Requirement: Starting January 1, 2024, most business entities in the US will need to report Beneficial Ownership Information.


Owner's name for EIN

Asked by: CHARLES  — 22 October, 2011

Do the IRS need to know the owner’s name for the EIN?

Answered by: admin  — 22 October, 2011


When an EIN is obtained for a company the IRS require listing a responsible party on the SS4 form and they keep that information in their records.

Who can be a responsible party and what additional information is required depends on the type of company one is looking to obtain an EIN for, for example:

1. Sole Proprietorship – the name and Social Security number of the sole proprietor (owner)

2. Partnership – the name and Social Security of one of the partners

3. Corporation – the name and tax id of one of the officers

4. LLC – the name and tax id of one of the members (a member can be another company and the tax ID would be the EIN of that company).

Foreign citizens can own an organized business in the US, such as an LLC or a Corporation (several countries are excluded). The procedure for obtaining an EIN for a foreign-owned company is slightly different, and they do not need to list a tax ID for the representative on the SS4 form.

Ask Incorporation Question
Please enter your full name
Please enter your email address
Please select your phone number
Please select
Please enter text message
Begin Web-Stat code v 6.0