New Federal Requirement: Starting January 1, 2024, most business entities in the US will need to report Beneficial Ownership Information.


Open Restaurant

Asked by: Mike  — 23 January, 2013

I’m Canadian and have a restaurant incorporated here, can I open a restaurant in US, if I can what do I need?

Answered by: admin  — 23 January, 2013


You could certainly open a restaurant in the U.S. as a Canadian citizen. No financial or identification documents would be required by the states, nor would you be required to provide a social security number, and you may list your company in Canada as the owner of the U.S. company.

You would need to have the company registered (as an LLC or C-Corporation) with the state where the restaurant would be physically located, and obtain at the least the federal tax id (EIN) as well as that state’s sales/use tax permit, where applicable.

Of course, before doing all that you should decide on how this restaurant would be managed. If you plan to run it personally you should consult an immigration attorney to see how it can be achieved from legal point of view.

Ask Incorporation Question
Please enter your full name
Please enter your email address
Please select your phone number
Please select
Please enter text message
Begin Web-Stat code v 6.0