New Federal Requirement: Starting January 1, 2024, most business entities in the US will need to report Beneficial Ownership Information.


Importing Food to the US

Asked by: A.Less  — 25 September, 2012

I’m starting a gourmet food business and will be importing products from France, Belgium, Switzerland, and the Netherlands. Is an LLC my best option? What additional agencies do I have to contact to ensure I have the adequate business licenses and permits?

Answered by: admin  — 25 September, 2012

A. Less,

According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration “Importers can import foods into the United States without prior sanction by FDA, as long as the facilities that produce, store or otherwise handle the products are registered with FDA, and prior notice of incoming shipments is provided to FDA.” You will likely need a food facility registration through the FDA.

State and local business licenses might also apply due to your operation and the selling of goods in that state. The form of the business entity is a complex choice and is ultimately a business decision. I invite you to red Raymond’s answer to a question of comparing LLC & Corporation.

Ask Incorporation Question
Please enter your full name
Please enter your email address
Please select your phone number
Please select
Please enter text message
Begin Web-Stat code v 6.0