New Federal Requirement: Starting January 1, 2024, most business entities in the US will need to report Beneficial Ownership Information.


How to run an S-Corp from abroad?

Asked by: Justin  — 20 February, 2012

I am currently president / only director of a one person S-Corp in Vermont.

My partner will be moving to Africa later in the year, and I will be moving there in January 2013.

I’m not sure if I should un-incorporate in Vermont and then re-incorporate somewhere else? I have family in MN, CA and AK. What are the rules for working abroad?

I don’t really even know where to begin. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.


Answered by: admin  — 20 February, 2012

Dear Justin,

Since your S-Corp is a separate business entity you will be able to keep it just as is, and run it from abroad. You do need to maintain a Registered Agent in Vermont, but you can hire a commercial Registered Agent and amend the Articles of Incorporation to reflect the change of registered agent for your company (that is assuming you currently serve as the Registered Agent for the company).

Since this service costs only $99 a year this is probably the best and cheapest way to have your company set up when you move out of the country.

Ask Incorporation Question
Please enter your full name
Please enter your email address
Please select your phone number
Please select
Please enter text message
Begin Web-Stat code v 6.0