New Federal Requirement: Starting January 1, 2024, most business entities in the US will need to report Beneficial Ownership Information.


Foreign qualifying and living abroad

Asked by: Boytbpc  — 20 July, 2012

I am a U.S. citizen and a Canadian Permanent Resident. I am looking to start a computer-related business. Contracts would come from both the U.S. and Canada, which makes me believe I should incorporate in both, correct?

I am considering incorporating in Delaware. I will live and work out of my home in Canada, and the companies hiring me are not in Delaware. If I get a contract from a company in another state, but do all my work in Canada, do I need to foreign qualify in the state that the company that issued the contract is from?

Answered by: admin  — 20 July, 2012

Dear Visitor,

Typically speaking, if you are running a web-based company from your home, you usually wouldn’t need to register the company as a foreign entity in the states where your clients/orders would come from. You may be able to handle all of your orders from inside and outside of the United States through your U.S. company once it’s registered in a state such as Delaware or Wyoming.

Without knowing the exact nature of your business, it is generally always a good idea to consult your business plans with an accountant.

Ask Incorporation Question
Please enter your full name
Please enter your email address
Please select your phone number
Please select
Please enter text message
Begin Web-Stat code v 6.0