New Federal Requirement: Starting January 1, 2024, most business entities in the US will need to report Beneficial Ownership Information.


Foreign Citizen forming a DBA / Sole Proprietorship

Asked by: dulce  — 18 April, 2012

Can a foreign citizen form a DBA / Sole Proprietorship? If yes, what documentation would I need to submit? How much are the costs associated in forming a DBA / Sole Proprietorship? I am a non-us citizen but I do have my SSN.

Answered by: admin  — 18 April, 2012


Technically speaking, yes you could register a DBA as an international resident, being that you could use your social security number to obtain an EIN.

To register a DBA in the United States, you would need to have a business address in the state you are registering in. In many states, DBA’s are filed with the county or town the business address is in, and the application will require you to sign it in front of a notary public, often licensed by that state. This could make registering a DBA a little more difficult than registering an LLC or a Corporation in your circumstance of living outside of the country.

As DBA’s are registered differently state to state and sometimes county to county, it is hard to give an accurate cost estimation.

Ask Incorporation Question
Please enter your full name
Please enter your email address
Please select your phone number
Please select
Please enter text message
Begin Web-Stat code v 6.0