Call Us Now: +1 (877) 330-2677 Live Chat: ONLINE NOW   

Filing taxes in NJ or GA?

Asked by: mona - 28 February, 2013 I live in GA and have incorporated as an LLC in GA. I currently am working in NJ, where do I pay taxes and how do I go about doing that?
Answered by: Wray Rives - 1 March, 2013 Mona,

There are a number of factors that will impact how you file. If you are self employed and maintain your residence in Georgia, but are temporarily working in New Jersey, then you will file in Georgia. If you are employed and receive a W2 wage, then you should check your W2 and see how your employer reported your wages. Not that W2's are always right, but the states and the IRS will always presume they are correct. Quite likely you will need to file in both states if you had earnings in both states.

If this is a more permanent move and you expect to be in New Jersey working long term, generally long-term will be anything more than 12 months, you may need to file as a New Jersey resident and if you have no other income related to Georgia, you would no longer file as a Georgia resident. I would really recommend that you hire a tax professional to work with on your tax return this year, given that there will definitely be some uncertainty about where your tax home is really located.


We Want To Connect With You!

Social Media is increasingly the preferred method for businesses to connect with their clients, peers and customers. We are dedicated to share information and useful tools to help you grow your business.

Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and let's begin the exchange to Help Grow America One Business at a Time - starting with yours!