New Federal Requirement: Starting January 1, 2024, most business entities in the US will need to report Beneficial Ownership Information.


Converting General Partnership to LLC

Asked by: cathy  — 9 September, 2011

How do I know if I can use my same company name?

Answered by: admin  — 9 September, 2011


Typically it depends on the state where your GP is located, and whether you have registered the name of your partnership with the state.

If you have never registered the name as a DBA you could simply register the LLC with the state using this name. If you did obtain a DBA the procedure would be different from state to state. Here are some examples of what you might need to do:

1) Cancel the DBA first, then register the LLC with that name.

2) As the DBA owner give written consent to form an LLC with the same name as the DBA.

3) if the DBA is registered on county (town) level check with the county/town clerk if you need to cancel the DBA before registering the LLC.

Ask Incorporation Question
Please enter your full name
Please enter your email address
Please select your phone number
Please select
Please enter text message
Begin Web-Stat code v 6.0