Call Us Now: +1 (877) 330-2677 Live Chat: ONLINE NOW   

Can a European Citizen be Corporate Officer of a US Corporation?

Asked by: Daniele - 19 August, 2011 Hi-

I am a resident alien living in the US, wanting to open an S-Corporation in Maui, HI. I would like for my brother to be a corporate officer and share holder. He is a European citizen (Austria). What are the steps to be taken? Much Thank you!

Answered by: Lloyd Johnson - 19 August, 2011 Daniele,

If you want to register an S-Corporation your brother will not be able to be a shareholder. All shareholders of S-Corporation (or LLC that elects to be taxed as S-Corporation) must be either U.S. citizens or residents, estates, or certain trusts. However there is no restriction for him to be an officer or a director of the corporation.

If you want your brother to be a shareholder the corporation must be C-Corporation. Alternatively you can form an LLC and make him a member.


We Want To Connect With You!

Social Media is increasingly the preferred method for businesses to connect with their clients, peers and customers. We are dedicated to share information and useful tools to help you grow your business.

Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and let's begin the exchange to Help Grow America One Business at a Time - starting with yours!