Call Us Now: +1 (877) 330-2677 Live Chat: ONLINE NOW   

Husband has a H1B visa how do I keep running my virtual business?

Asked by: Sharon - 19 May, 2011 My husband has been hired in the US on an H1B visa. The whole family is moving down from Canada to Ohio and I was wondering how do I keep running my virtual business. Can do it as an LLC and still work for my clients in both the US and Canada or do I need to just fold up shop? I would really like to keep running my business.
Answered by: Robert Kowalski - 20 May, 2011 Sharon,

First of all, since your husband is going to be present in the US on a H1B visa and I presume you will accompany him as a spouse, you should consult an immigration lawyer on the question on whether your husband's visa permits you as his spouse to operate a business in the US. I see no reason why it wouldn't, but again - this is immigration law question, so its outside of our scope.

Assuming that the terms of your husband's visa do not specifically prevent you from owning a business in the US, you could open an LLC and conduct your business through that entity. However (and again, this is a topic to consult with an immigration attorney), you need to make sure that any profit that you keep from that company is not recorded as earned income, but rather as a dividend or member distribution (and this is a question to ask a CPA :).

I hope my answer will help you at least choose the right direction to continue your research.


We Want To Connect With You!

Social Media is increasingly the preferred method for businesses to connect with their clients, peers and customers. We are dedicated to share information and useful tools to help you grow your business.

Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and let's begin the exchange to Help Grow America One Business at a Time - starting with yours! Official PayPal Seal SecurityMetrics for PCI Compliance, QSA, IDS, Penetration Testing, Forensics, and Vulnerability Assessment