Foreign citizen starting an importing business in USA
I am a paper packaging manufacturer from Taiwan and i would like to set up a company in USA.
The company will import the bags from Taiwan and then are stored and distributed frmo the 3rd party warehouse & logistic company at State CA.
My question is:
1. To set up an company that can importing goods, what type of company should i register?
2. What do I need to be able to import? (eg EIN, local address?)
Please advise the things things that I must provide in order to import goods into USA.
3. How will this type of business be taxed according to the law of USA.
Allow me to answer your questions one by one:
1. - You would be able to register an LLC or a C-Corporation, which you may click here to compare side-by-side. Also, we have a research article titled 'Choosing Business Entity' which you should find very helpful.
2. - You may register a U.S. company and obtain the company EIN by applying conveniently online using the basic information: name and home address of each member (may be non-U.S. address), name and address for business, and we would need a valid email address for each member. Depending on the type of goods you are importing, you may need to check with customs agencies in the U.S. (www.cbp.gov) and the country they are shipped from to see if you would require any special licensing or face any restrictions.
3. While we are professional incorporators, we are a separate professional field than licensed accountants, so we cannot give proper tax advice. We have a resource section titled 'U.S. Taxation for Foreigners' which specifically addresses the common tax questions.