How To Register a Trademark
A trademark is a brand name. A trademark or service mark includes any word, name, symbol, device, or any combination, used or intended to be used to identify and distinguish the goods/services of one seller or provider from those of others, and to indicate the source of the goods/services.
A trademark may be designated by the following symbols:
- ™ - the "trademark symbol", which is the letters "TM", for an unregistered trademark, a mark used to promote or brand goods,
- ℠ - which is the letters "SM" in superscript, for an unregistered service mark, a mark used to promote or brand services,
- ® - the letter "R" surrounded by a circle, for a registered trademark.
Although you don't have to register your trademark with US Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO), doing so is an important and often recommended step in protecting your company's brand.
Before deciding what brand name to use for your company and/or products it's important to check that your chosen name will not conflict with an already existing brand name.
A trademark search would reveal any conflicts with existing trademarks. We offer two kinds of searches: "Direct-Hit" Trademark Search and Comprehensive State & Federal Trademark Search.
"Direct-Hit" Trademark Search
The "direct-hit" trademark search includes a trademark search of the U.S. Federal trademark database for direct hit trademark conflicts. If the results of the "direct-hit" search include a conflict with a live trademark application or registration, you will get a copy of the conflicting trademark record.
Comprehensive State & Federal Trademark Search
The comprehensive State & Federal trademark search includes a "knock-out" trademark search of the U.S. Federal trademark database as well as state trademark database for potential trademark conflicts. Like with "direct-hit" searches, if the results of the "knock-out" search include a conflict with a live trademark application or registration, you will get a copy of the conflicting trademark record.
Some facts first
It is important to understand that trademark registration is optional - you can mark your chosen name or logo with the symbol ™ (or ℠) to indicate it as a trademark/service mark. Registering trademark with USPTO gives you the right to mark it with ® and offers some additional benefits.
That, however, comes at a cost of registration, and also can take anywhere between 10 and 12 months (depending on the current USPTO processing times). Also, your trademark registration is not guaranteed - that is the reason why we work with a law firm, to ensure better chances of registration.
Finally, cost of registering a trademark includes government fee which runs between $225 and $275 per trademark class. Typically your trademark would fall into one class only, but in some cases you might want or need to include it in more than one class.
What we offer
To offer our clients reliable and affordable trademark registration services we have partnered with LegalSherpa, a leading provider of Trademarking services. For each trademark registration we offer 3 types of packages: Standard, Comprehensive and Attorney packages.
Standard Package is our basic package for registering your trademark with US Patent & Trademark Office (USPTO).
The package includes:
- Quick & easy LegalSherpa online trademark questionnaire
- Electronic trademark filing with the United States Patent & Trademark Office,
- LegalSherpa review for accuracy, common errors and completeness,
- Digitization and formatting of your trademark specimen and designs (for graphic trademarks),
- Professional "Direct Hit" Federal trademark search.
Comprehensive Package includes everything in Standard package plus the following:
- LegalSherpa extended customer service,
- Digital copy of your trademark application for your records,
- Sample cease and desist letter,
- Sample trademark transfer and assignment agreement,
- Priority LegalSherpa processing - same day processing!
Attorney Package includes everything in Standard and Comprehensive packages plus the following:
- Attorney conflict check,
- Attorney review & preparation,
- Attorney correspondence.
Ready to Order?
We will prepare and file your trademark registration application in a professional manner, all you need to do is complete our simple order form.
Please feel free to contact our representatives to guide you via chat or telephone
at +1 (877) 330-2677.
Our company offers professional business filing services that ensure your company documents and applications are accurately filed and in compliance.