Call Us Now: +1 (877) 330-2677 Live Chat: ONLINE NOW   

Owner's name for EIN

Asked by: CHARLES - 22 October, 2011 Do the IRS need to know the owner's name for the EIN?
Answered by: Robert Kowalski - 22 October, 2011 Charles,

When an EIN is obtained for a company the IRS require listing a responsible party on the SS4 form and they keep that information in their records.

Who can be a responsible party and what additional information is required depends on the type of company one is looking to obtain an EIN for, for example:

1. Sole Proprietorship - the name and Social Security number of the sole proprietor (owner)

2. Partnership - the name and Social Security of one of the partners

3. Corporation - the name and tax id of one of the officers

4. LLC - the name and tax id of one of the members (a member can be another company and the tax ID would be the EIN of that company).

Foreign citizens can own an organized business in the US, such as an LLC or a Corporation (several countries are excluded). The procedure for obtaining an EIN for a foreign-owned company is slightly different, and they do not need to list a tax ID for the representative on the SS4 form.


We Want To Connect With You!

Social Media is increasingly the preferred method for businesses to connect with their clients, peers and customers. We are dedicated to share information and useful tools to help you grow your business.

Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and let's begin the exchange to Help Grow America One Business at a Time - starting with yours! Official PayPal Seal SecurityMetrics for PCI Compliance, QSA, IDS, Penetration Testing, Forensics, and Vulnerability Assessment