Call Us Now: +1 (877) 330-2677 Live Chat: ONLINE NOW   

Foreign Citizen forming a DBA / Sole Proprietorship

Asked by: dulce - 18 April, 2012 Can a foreign citizen form a DBA / Sole Proprietorship? If yes, what documentation would I need to submit? How much are the costs associated in forming a DBA / Sole Proprietorship? I am a non-us citizen but I do have my SSN.
Answered by: Ray Albert - 20 April, 2012 Dulce,

Technically speaking, yes you could register a DBA as an international resident, being that you could use your social security number to obtain an EIN.

To register a DBA in the United States, you would need to have a business address in the state you are registering in. In many states, DBA's are filed with the county or town the business address is in, and the application will require you to sign it in front of a notary public, often licensed by that state. This could make registering a DBA a little more difficult than registering an LLC or a Corporation in your circumstance of living outside of the country.

As DBA's are registered differently state to state and sometimes county to county, it is hard to give an accurate cost estimation.


We Want To Connect With You!

Social Media is increasingly the preferred method for businesses to connect with their clients, peers and customers. We are dedicated to share information and useful tools to help you grow your business.

Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and let's begin the exchange to Help Grow America One Business at a Time - starting with yours!